Thursday, July 12, 2007

The "Lost" Day

We have arrived! Abie was happy her fears were unfounded because no sickness and she slept most of the trip. I enjoyed 3 movies and slept a little. The funniest thing was we sat in seats surrounded by a New Zealand futbol team traveling home. They played in the World Cup for under 21s. The head coach had Abie pretend to know one of the other coaches and say hello Jonathan! He was puzzeled and eventually all had a good laugh. It definately is winter here! In fact the headlines told the story of our lost day! Hurricane winds and flooding preceded us, unfortunately canceling our sailing plans. But no worries we wandered around Auckland both by foot and by car. I must say Abie "owns" the wrong side of the road! She has been our driver so far, since 21 years old was the limit for drivers. Yes! I navigated and every streeet seems to automatically change names every few blocks...so, it has been a challenge to stay on the right street. The city is small and not too much traffic so we did fine. It doesn't seem to be a problem here to eat a little less because we keep searching for just the right atmosphere and special foods and keep looking, and looking, and are still looking. We did eat fish and chips at Polminos, a cute restuarant on the harbour, including a New Zealand white wine we shared. Now we will head out to the south looking for tea and scones as we head to our underground spelunking adventure and farm stay. We would love to hear from you all. Shar and Abie

4 comments:

Zack said...

Mom and Abie,

So glad you two are having a blast!
I can't wait to hear more about your trip. Make sure you have a healthy dose of Veggamite (sp?).

Love you!

Zack

Scurry Around said...

Yes, we are looking for veggamite... our hosts on the farm had a jsr on the table for breakfast- looks nasty. You would not believe the Huka Falls Jetboat ride- you know I am not a screamer but I could not help myself! It was a blast! Everytime the driver did a 360 and looked as if he would hit the cliffs or a tree was something! We both loved it and agreed you boys would too! I love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Abie,

It looks like you are having so much fun! Thanks for sending us updates on your adventure! I'm not so sure about you driving on the "wrong" side of the road....but you live in Los Angeles...It should come naturally to you....(Just kidding!) Enjoy your trip!

-Charles

Clee said...

Abie,
I sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. I can’t wait to see you when you return and you can fill me in on all the details. I miss you. Now I know what you mean… things here at the Bowl just aren’t the same without my jovial friend behind me. Enjoy every moment, make lots of memories and keep blogging. You know Jamie will be so excited to read of your adventure in one of her favorite places on God’s beautiful earth. My best to your mom.
With much exuberance ,
Clee